Saturday, June 2, 2007

Chapter Camp

In mid-May I spent two weeks at InterVarsity's Summer Chapter Camp at Rockbridge. As staff our role is to run the different "tracks" that students attend throughout the weeks. During the first week I was part of the Small Group Vision track, which serves to equip new Small Group Leaders for their new roles that will start in the fall. We train them to lead a bible study, grow as a leader, and essentially to cultivate a community in their small groups that is constantly growing and moving outward. I had a great week with my small group of JMU and CNU girls! One of the most exciting parts of my job is watching new leaders step into their roles and get excited about serving God and fellow students. And the longer I am part of this ministry, the more convinced I am that Small Groups are the heart of our ministry- that is where real community, change and growth happen. I love watching new small groups formed and grown, and this week at Rockbridge is just the beginning of that!

Week two I helped staff the Kingdom Living track. In this track, students study what it means to live as a believer, part of the Kingdom of God. They studied the Sermon on the Mount in the mornings, and in the evenings heard talks on topics such as Social Injustice, Sexuality, Politics, and Money. I was incredibly impressed by the students in this track, particularly the students I had in my small group. They seem to have an understanding about their role in this world and in the Kingdom that far surpasses what I understood at their age, just 4 years ago! Their heart for injustice- for grieving over the effects that sin has on this world and their desire to stand up to it- impressed me. It was an encouraging week for me. Another exciting part of my job is that we are shaping the minds of the next generation of working adults. I am excited and hopeful to see what these college students will do in the coming years- what God will do through them- as they combat injustice and stand for God's Kingdom.

Here are a few pictures from the week:

Week 1, we (the JMU girls) went "hiking" one afternoon. We're tough!

After hiking one day, the next day we spent the day by the pool. A nice way to start out the summer!

Mark and Ross, horse-shoe champs

Ali and Ross in the dining hall

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

I just want you to know that I read and enjoyed all the new entries! :-D
-Lizzie