Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Singing over my daughter

I just got Abby down for a late afternoon nap, finally! She woke up about an hour ago screaming, because of some gas she had trapped in her little stomach. Andy helped her "fart" it out and she felt a lot better, and I just finished rocking her back to sleep- she was exhausted!!
Some of my favorite moments with Abby are right after I feed her, or right before a nap, when I rock her and sing to her. Sometimes I sing silly children's songs to her, sometimes lullabyes, sometimes hymns, and sometimes I just make up songs about how much I love her and how cute she is! Today I sang a song we used to sing at Cov Pres in Harrisonburg a lot, "He will Rejoice Over You." As I sung the words to her, my heart was filled (as it very often is lately!) with such an incredible love for this little miracle that I have been so blessed with. The words became a prayer, that she would hear the voice of her heavenly Father, that she would know how deep and wide is his love for her, that she would know how much he DELIGHTS in her! And then it struck me, as I was "singing over" my child, rejoicing over her, delighting in her, and singing about how the Lord rejoices over her, that he rejoices over me just the same!
You see, it is easy to believe that God rejoices over and delights in my daughter, but it is harder yet to believe that he does the same with me. And as I sang to my sweet Abby, I realized that as much as I love her, the Lord loves her infinately more than I ever will or could, and he loves me with this same love! I have known that the Lord loves me this much, but now that I am a mother with a child of my own, and I know what it is like to love your child with a deep, unquenchable love, I feel that I am beginning to understand just a little bit more how deep the Father's love is for me.
I pray that I will be reminded of my Father's great love for me every time I rejoice over my sweet girl with singing, whether its a hymn that speaks of the riches of the gospel, or just one of those silly songs!

The Lord our God is with you, He is mighty to save.
The Lord will take great delight in you,
He will quiet you with His love.

He will rejoice over you, He will rejoice over you.
If you could only hear His voice, you would hear the Lord rejoice,
Rejoicing over you with singing.

1 comment:

The Sinks said...

What an amazing God that loves us so much! Thanks for that reminder!