Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dinner Tonight: Bulgogi

(image from www.seriouseats.com)

This is quickly becoming one of our favorite meals, and one of my favorites to prepare.  Beef Bulgogi, also known as Korean Barbeque (but don't let that name fool you, it tastes NOTHING like American BBQ). Marinated steak cooked quickly in a skillet, served on a small piece of lettuce with a sponful of rice, and a little dallop of hoisin sauce on top, rolled up and eaten with your hands... yummy goodness!!

The first time I had it was back in Harrisonburg at our friend/neighbor's house.  Heidi is one of the best cooks I know, and she invited me over for lunch one afternoon and this is what we had.  I had forgotten about it until a few months ago when on a whim I emailed her and asked her for the recipe- I was craving it something bad! This summer I have probably made it 4 or 5 times, and will make it again!  Andy loves it, Abby loves it, it's super easy to make, and if you use a lean cut of meat it's pretty healthy, too!  (Or you can go even healthier and use chicken.  But we love us some red meat around here.)  And, it's one of those meals that you can eat a ton of and just feel gooooood when you are finished- not stuffed, not "I can't believe I just ate that, I must have gained 5 pounds," and not, "that's it??" Just satisfied.

Anyways, here is the recipe I use.  If you google "Bulgogi" you can find other, much more complicated recipes for it.  But I am all about homemade food that has few ingredients and still tastes heavenly!

Marinate beef for several hours in:
3 T. soy sauce
1 T. sesame oil
1 T. sesame seeds
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
-Cooke rice. I use white sticky rice especially for sushi, it works the best, but you can also use jasmine or brown rice.
-Saute beef in a skillet or fry pan on the stove until done, 8-10 minutes.
-Serve with rice on a small piece of lettuce- Bibb, iceberg, or any other.
-Top with a little bit of hoisin sauce or soy sauce.  Roll up and enjoy!

-You can buy sesame seeds pretty cheap in the asian section- cheaper than in the spice aisle.
-I usually pick a thin piece of beef that is especially for sauteeing.  But you can use whatever cut you like.

See?? Easy Peasy!!

2 comments:

Sarah Cole said...

sounds SO good! i'll have to try it out!

Unknown said...

oh man. that sounds soooo delicious!