Friday, March 11, 2011

One year

My favorite part of the hospital stay after having a baby is that first evening.  Visitors have gone home, the bustle of the maternity ward has settled a bit, lights are turned down, the nurses come in slowly and quietly and leave quickly, Mommy is (hopefully) showered and changed into comfy pj's, baby is swaddled and sleeping. Finally, FINALLY, I get her all to myself.
I remember that first night with Charlotte like it was just last night. I remember what it was like to look into the hospital bassinet and see her sleeping so soundly, belly full. I remember looking at her with wonder at who this new little one was going to become. I remember scooping her up, climbing into bed, and just holding her close.  Smelling her sweet baby skin. Heart full, so in love. Nothing needing to get done but enjoy her, know her, love her.


Happy Birthday sweet one.  How we have enjoyed you this past year!  And OH, the joys that are to come!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

No Way! She can't be a year old! Precious post.