Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Plan B

I just read an awesome post about being a mom, and since so many of my fellow mommies read this blog, I wanted to pass it on! Read this!
My favorite line is:
"I dare anyone to say that a Mom who is responsible for explaining life and death to a three year old whose pet frog suddenly stopped moving doesn’t have an important job. You want life changing? Try teaching an eight year old how to make the right choices about what he watches on television no matter that his friends all watch rated R movies and he feels left out. Do you desire adventure? Have a go at retracing your steps over a busy metropolis searching for the special shoes that your son tossed out a window at some point along the way, attempting to find them before a movie starts for which you already bought tickets. These can seem like petty errands, and indeed even to the most convinced mother there are times when we may look back at plan A and wonder. I know I have. It took a Kindergarten open house for me to get a confirmation of what road I’d decided to take. There in the hall proudly displayed for all to see was my daughter’s picture of what she wanted to be when she grew up. “See Mommy, I want to grow up to be a Mommy just like you.” I have to admit that there were tears from me. Maybe I’d done something right after all."

I know what it's like to be on "Plan B." Our "Plan A" was- Andy finish grad school and get a sweet job that paid enough for us to buy a house with a yard and 3ish bedrooms. Jenny be on staff for at least two years, get some experience with being on staff before thinking about children. And then along came Abby. And I am so glad. I am so glad that God's plans are always better than my plans. I am so glad that God's foolishness is wiser than the worlds wisdom. I am so glad that I get this incredible gift of being able to raise and shepherd Abby, and I would rather do this than any job in the whole world!

1 comment:

Sasha Rothwell said...

Wow, that was inspiring, encouraging and deeply touching! I love your attitude girl! Life never goes as planned that I've learned well over the past couple years! We might end up with plan B but i think it is the Lords plan A! Love ya!