Sunday, March 21, 2010

Charlotte's Birth

Charlotte's timing could not have been more perfect. My brother Matt had come into town the night before for a few days of his spring break, and on Wednesday his girlfriend Becca came down for the night as well. One of the things I had been concerned about was going into labor in the middle of the night, knowing it was probably going to go pretty quickly, and having to call someone to come stay with Abby. Isn't it just so like our God to provide for us in such a tangible, practicle way by having Charlotte come on the one night that there would be not only one, but two very capable people staying over to watch Abby?

I had been having sporadic contractions all day- none regular but still more painful than Braxton Hicks, so we thought it would be a good idea to take a few last shots of my pregnant belly before she was born. Good thing we did!


Around 10:30 my contractions all of a sudden were 4 minutes apart and about a minute long, so we started timing them (yay for Andy's itouch, just another reason we are crazy about Apple!!), and gathered our things to head to the hospital.

We spent the next hour and a half going back and forth about whether or not it was the real thing- "should we go in? but what if they go away as soon as we get there? what if we have 10 more hours of this- I would rather labor at home as long as possible, but Abby was only four hours so maybe we should go in...."
We finally left for the hospital around 12:15 and got checked into our room at 12:45.


And good thing we went when we did. Charlotte was born just two hours after arriving, at 2:48am!


Just like with Abby, we both fell in love with Charlotte instantly. We were struck by how much she looks like Abby when she was born, even down to the tiny stork bite on her forehead! I'll have to post some side-by-side photos of them.




We got to rest for a few hours before the family started coming in to meet Charlotte. Abby was really excited to meet her, and kept jumping up on the bed to get a better look into the bassinet.

Look at that face! She is so proud!!!

Here Trisha was showing her Charlotte's belly button. Ever since Abby has been very concerned about Charlotte's "boo boo beddy button."

Classic Abby! She was so jazzed up from having so many of her favorite people around!

This is one of my favorites- check out Abby in the background! Andy was trying to capture a tender moment, and Abby thought he was trying to get a picture of her! Haha I love it!!

Nothing like some snuggles with my biggest girl. Who instantly went from looking small and tiny to looking like a gigantic monster to me!! She is constantly on the go, so I have to grab these moments whenever I can.

Trisha, Bruce and Andy's brother Chris came to see us almost right away. How great to have them so close by!!



My Mom came in town later that afternoon, ready to stay for the next week!!

And she brought the yummiest, most beautiful cup cakes I have ever seen!!

Matt and Becca were our lifesavers- they were exhausted, from the excitement of the night before and staying up, waiting for the phonecall announcing her arrival, and then having to get up early when Abby woke up. How special to have had them be part of such a big moment in our lives!


Becca quickly became Abby's new favorite person, as she let Abby try out every single piece of makeup in her bag.


Charlotte's birth was as amazing as Abby's was. I was afraid that no other birth could live up to my experience with Abby, but this one was no less emotional, miraculous, overwhelming, or amazing. It was a totally different experience- Abby was induced, in the middle of the day, lots of friends and family already in town, lots of nurses and my doctor in the room, and medicated. This time we had the excitement of rushing to the hospital in the middle of the night, only a nurse and my midwife in the room with us, and no time for an epidural. It was neat for me to see that no matter how a baby comes into the world, no birth is any more or less amazing & special than another.
And my take on "going natural"?? There is a reason the anesthesiologist gets paid so much for administering an epidural!! All I can say is, "OUCH. FREAKIN OUCH!"

4 comments:

Sarah Cole said...

We're rejoicing with you guys! SO wish we were close by so that i could pop on by and hold Charlotte and take Abby for the day to play with Phoebe and give you a break! Love you so much.:)

Anonymous said...

This was so beautiful! Hope all is well and you are able to rest a little in between such special moments. I remember how big Ella looked to me as soon as she came to the hospital to meet Sophie.

Danielle said...

You and Andy are so great. I love the pictures and getting a peak into your lives. You have a beautiful family. I am a little teary now myself. Keep posting!!

carlymay said...

This was SUCH a precious post!!! Almost as good as hearing it in person.... But SO wish I was actually there to hear it first hand from you, and like sarah said to give Charlotte a hug and a snuggle. She is beautiful. Love you guys and praying many blessings for you as you transition. oxoxoxo