Monday, April 14, 2008

All her little parts

I love nursing. I love knowing that I am providing my daughter with the best nutrition for her growing body. I love that I burn 500 calories a day, so I can eat that extra cookie, ha! I love that I never have to worry about having bottles, warm water, and formula around to get ready in a hurry when she gets hungry. I love the closeness I feel with Abby that comes from nearly 5 months of feeding her 6-8 times a day.
But most of all, I love that nursing forces me to stop everything I am doing, and for 15 minutes focus completely the needs of someone besides myself. Granted, I have learned how to surf the net with one hand (must check blogs, must check blogs!) and most of the time I can even read a book while feeding Abby. I am, afterall, the master multi-tasker. But a lot of the time, I mostly just enjoy being still with her for a few short moments.
The other afternoon I stripped Abby down and brought her outside with me as I was gardening-it was a hot day! When it was time to feed her I kept her clothes off because we were both so hot. I found myself reveling in her cute little body- what cute little toes, cute little hands, cute little belly button, cute little knees. And I started praying for her, that every part of her would be used to glorify her Father in Heaven. I prayed...

That her eyes would be fixed on the Lord, that they would not be blind to the needs of others, that they would look to that which is pure and not be captivated by the things of this world.

That her hands would do good works, that they would be lifted in praise to her God, that they would build up and not tear down.

That her feet would bring the good news of Christ to those who have not heard.

That her ears would be open and hear the word of God, and that they would hear the Lord.

That her mind would thirst for wisdom from the Lord and not from this world, would discern between what is good and true and what is not, and that it would be in awe at the wonders that God has done.

That her heart would be full of compassion for others and love for God.

2 comments:

The Nolls said...

oh Jenny~
I was just reading your blog and crying as I prayed the same things for my little girls... oh how my heart aches for them to be Lord's completely. I also loved the encouragement to just enjoy nursing my little one. Its so easy to make it a time to catch up on reading e-mails or blogs :) or make a phone call, instead of just enjoying and praying for my sweet girl... I do it even less with my second and I needed that reminder of the preciousness of that time. Thanks for sharing. I love you!
~sb

Sara B. said...

well jenny, can't say i know anything about nursing....BUT i do love the prayers you pray for little abigail. i miss you all and hope all is going well :)